Having just begun my excursion into the French and Indian War I was desperate for some buildings.  I found the Pegasus 1/72 Russian Cabins intriguing and inexpensive so I thought I would buy a box (two cabins in a box) and see what magic I could work for my FIW wargaming table.

Overview:  Overall a very easy set of models to put together.  No sprue clipping required as all the pieces came loose in the box.  Just a little quick trimming of seams with a file and I was gluing it together in no time. The roof pieces are already together and sit nicely on top of the assembled four walls with just the need to glue together the two chimney pieces and stick it to the roof.

Here you see the four walls assembled and glued to some wood bases I picked up at a craft store.  I put some glue and sand down also to mark where the walking paths around the structure might be.  The four walls went together fast and were very easy to snap together.  They fit snug and probably didn't need any glue but I added a touch just to secure them in place.  Again, the roof is a single piece so no need to work at getting the slope of the angle just right.

Both roofs sit on the structures just right.  Here you see two 25mm Figures beside the houses for scale,  I decided not to glue the roofs on so my troops could occupy the structures when needed.

You can see the larger structure can hold 8 figures and the log cabin fits 4 very nicely.

Primed and ready for the first dry brush.  Amazing how quickly these went together.  Assembled and primed in just about two hours.  It can probably be done faster but I tend to play once my figures are out.

Dry brushed.  The log cabin will be all brown the clapboard house will be white with the trimming in raw wood color.  Both get two dry brush layers of Burnt Umber or Scorched Brown for you Games Workshop painters.  Note the Clapboard house is left black where the white will be dry brushed on.  On the inside I just put brown around the doors and window frames so players will be able to see where those are inside the structures.

Next I dry brushed the clapboards with off white (bone white) twice and then added plain white to lighten it up for the final dry brush.  The third dry brush for the cabin was burnt umber again with some codex grey added.  I mixed some white in with the burnt umber to paint the cut ends of the logs as well.  Finally I went back over the doors and window frames with the burnt umber to clean up some of my sloppy dry brushing and to give it a finished look.  Note I left the roofs with a simple dry brush of burnt umber.  Not to many thatched roofs in North America so left it brown to possibly pass for wood shingles.  With a little more ambition it would not have been to hard to shingle the roofs, but not today.

Flocking and some other details added to the bases.  Simply brushed on some white glue and sprinkled the flocking.  Then went back over and added some other details for effect.

The Clapboard House with some French Infantry marching by.

I really like the log cabin.  I really enjoyed building these.  They are true 1/72nd scale structures and for some they may be a bit to small if you are a real stickler for scale.  But they assemble very vuickly.  The plastic is sturdy and has alot of detail and thus are easy to dry brush.  I highly recommend these models.

No comments:

Post a Comment